Saturday, January 16, 2010

Motor Breakdown

Since we decided to stay with the 2.5 N/A block we settled on rebuilding it so keep it reliable. Last thing we want is to pop a motor on the first race of the season!

Most of the motor removal was routine - Removing the fuel lines, drain the radiator and oil, move the power steering aside and pop off the motor mounts.

After we removed the clutch and flywheel (why I might add was in very good condition... totally reusable) we put it on a motor stand and started to disassemble. The intake manifold came off easily by removing the 8 bolts and disconnecting the various sensors. Next we took off the timing belt and other "front of the motor" pieces including water and oil pumps. After that - off came the heads and we dove into the block.

I had to make a quick trip to Sears to pick up a 12-point 3/8 socket to get the block bolts out. Once they popped loose, we tapped out the wrist pins and pulled the block apart. Everything looked pretty good... crank wasn't scorn too bad, pistons look reusable... rods fine... I do feel a lot better about the decision to rebuild it though because the rod bearings looked very discolored which could be a sign of poor oiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment