Sunday, March 20, 2011


Finally finished up the car and have a short list of things to do before the first track day at Lime Rock. I headed over to EFI Logic's this weekend to go through the NASA Competition Race Tech Inspection. I did pass which is a relief, but still have a few tidbits to finish up. After a garage clean, maintenance on the tow vehicle, and a few other misl. quick projects I'll be back on the RS for a fuel system make over, minor tweak of the suspension and the general maintenance needed for the track day. Official Weigh In was 2600 lbs with about 5gal of fuel in the car. Looks like I'll need some ballast :)

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Window Net (1)

Last night I finally finished re-designing the window net for proper operation. When DSX originally installed the window net it was on the inside of the cage and considered illegal. It also did not fully drop away from the driver to allow for proper egress.
I used an belt buckle and latch and welded it to a threaded rod. Attached that to the cage for easy disconnect/connect. Also fabricated a few brackets to bolt up the heim joints on the rear connection points.

Here's what the window net looks like now:

Monday, March 14, 2011

Seat Bracket Almost Done

So the welds didn't come out as good as I'd hoped. Mostly due to my bad TIG skills and running out of gas 3 times during the project (3 tanks, all partially full, uggg).

Anyway, it's in and I just have to stitch weld up the mounting plates, drill a few holes and move on to the next project.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Seat Mounting

So more work is being done to the seat now.

Basically when DSX did the seat mount, they built off the cage and tied it into the stock mounting points for the stock seat (front cross member). I originally told them I didn't think it would work due to needing a slider at some point (the short co-driver ) but whatever. Now that I've determined it WONT work - I need to re-do it.

So far I've cut out the existing seat brackets and mounts and will re-make the 1-1/4 seat mounts to support the sliders AND brackets. I'm going to tie into the body with a single bar and run the bars off the cage at a 45 like the
existing setup was, only extend them by about 4 inches. Also the mounting plates for the seat will mount perpendicular to the tubes coming off the cage so i can alter where the seat mounts if needed down the road WITHOUT cutting the whole damn setup out... grr.

Oh - and Myles from RaceComp Engineering and Charles from SafeDrives hooked up some new parts too.

500/500 lb/in springs Front and Rear and window nets.